Wednesday, May 14, 2014

what a travel day...

Traveling is the worst part of traveling. 

I made it. More than a few hours later than I intended and after a nice jaunt to Frankfurt, I arrived in Reykjavik tired, hungry, and ready for a horizontal sleeping arrangement. I was number 39 to arrive out of 44 students from all across the USA and Canada. We even have a Mauritian that joined us for our trip. 

After the travel excitement there are definitely a few things I will try to avoid doing in the future--eating chicken on a plane (NEVER AGAIN), forgetting to put a toothbrush in my carry-on bag, and the Charlotte airport. 

After 30some hours of no solid meals (I'm discounting the one on the flight to Frankfurt because it refused to stay put) that included 2 cars, 3 buses, 4 planes and 6 delays, I enjoyed a delicious traditional Icelandic meal of I-have-no-idea-what (I think they told me but my brain was feeling rather sluggish). I did rather appreciate the use of cashews in the vegetable casserole. 

My plan was to shower and go straight to bed, but I found that the presence of the sun at 10:00 pm gave me a little extra energy and I was able to summon up the social skills to greet a few of my peers. All 44 would've been overwhelming, but it was nice to meet and few--John and Justin from UCF, Lizzie from New York and University of Michigan, and Eric from Quebec and the University of Toronto. 

I took a gloriously warm shower and will have no trouble falling asleep thanks to a great set of blackout curtains in my room. Looking forward to the rest of the trip and hoping my return travels will be a little less adventurous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment